MVLP Legal Information & Resources

If the information below does not answer your question, or if you would just feel more comfortable talking to a lawyer about your issue, please call the Montgomery Volunteer Lawyers Program at 334-265-0222, ext. 1.

Statewide Legal Resources

Montgomery County Courts

Clerk’s Office: 334-832-1260,,


  • If you are served with eviction papers (titled an “Unlawful Detainer” in Alabama), you have 7 days to file a response with the court. Call the MVLP immediately at (334) 265-0222, ext. 2 if you would like assistance.

The form for your response is linked here, for your use:

Mortgage/Financing Free Education

Garnishment & Collections Cases

The Courts are still receiving filings. If you need relief from a judgement or garnishment, you should file a Claim of Exemption immediately. You may protect:

  • Up to $7,500 in a bank account (depending on the type of income); or
  • Up to $1000 of EACH paycheck.

Here are links to the forms you should file with the Court:
For your wages:
For your bank account:

  • The easiest way to avoid having a collections action filed against you is to work out a payment arrangement with your creditor BEFORE you get behind. If you are already behind, but no court action has been filed yet, you may still be able to work with your creditors to get caught up.
  • These types of cases can be confusing. If you would like additional advice or assistance with your situation, please call the Montgomery Volunteer Lawyers Program at 334-265-0222, ext. 1.

Employment & Unemployment Compensation

To file a claim for Unemployment Compensation, visit their website at

Domestic Violence

  1. You can still get a Protection From Abuse Order from the Montgomery County Domestic Relations Court that could provide you with safety, even in these difficult times.
  2. The form for asking for a Protection From Abuse Order is here:
  3. While you can file the petition above yourself, we recommend you seek the assistance of a qualified attorney at the Family Sunshine Center (334-263-0218) or One Place Family Justice Center (334-262-7378) to help you and connect you with additional services for victims of domestic and family violence.

SNAP/Food Stamps

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) serves to provide support to families throughout Alabama in need of help with food security.

The Alabama Department of Human Resources has modified its guidelines in light of the COVID-19 crisis. Visit to submit an online application, even if you haven’t previously qualified to receive benefits. At the moment, this is the fastest and most effective way to get your case evaluated.


At the moment, a whole host of criminals are at work to take advantage of people’s fears and uncertainty. Beware of the following known scams:

  1. Telephone Scams: Purporting to be any credible business or agency, including the Courts, the Social Security Administration, law enforcement, or Alabama Power, to name a few.
    1. If you receive an unsolicited phone call, and the caller requests your personal information, confirm their identity with a call to the agency/company’s public telephone number or request communication via mail or email.
    2. You should NEVER give any sensitive information over the phone unless you are 100% sure of the legitimacy of the caller on the other end.
  2. Email Scams: Same as telephone scams, but via email instead.
    1. Check the email address for any indicators that it comes from an impostor (no .gov for a government agency, comes from gmail or another public provider, has misspellings after the @).
    2. Call the company or agency using their publish phone number and ask to speak to someone about the email.
  3. Beware scam products or fake “coupons,” either in person or online. Especially if you have to provide any sensitive information (name, birthdate, SSN, address, etc.), these could be bad guys fishing for your information. If you buy online, buy from a reputable site.
  4. To report a scam, visit the Alabama Attorney General’s website ( or call 1-800-392-5658.

Montgomery Resources

City of Montgomery

Montgomery Area Food Bank
Phone: 334-263-3784

Montgomery Area Council on Aging (MACOA, Meals on Wheels)
Meals on Wheels: 334-240-6765

Montgomery Public Schools

Montgomery 211   
Phone: 211 OR text or call 888-421-1266

One Place Family Justice Center
Phone: 334-262-7378

Family Sunshine Center
Phone: 334-263-0218 OR 800-650-6522

Other Legal Resources

Madison County Volunteer Lawyers Program:

Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program:

South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program:

Alabama State Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program: 334-269-1515 OR 800-354-6154

Legal Services Alabama:

For non-urgent matters, have an attorney respond via e-mail:

Alabama Administrative Office of Courts Electronic Forms: