You must live in Montgomery County, Alabama, and have a civil legal matter that must be handled in Montgomery County, Alabama.
You must be 19 years of age or older. A parent or legal guardian can apply for services on behalf of a minor in some circumstances.
This is an income and asset-based program for low-income households. Your income and assets must fall below a certain level. Contact the Montgomery Volunteer Lawyers Program at (334) 265-0222, ext 1, to verify your eligibility for the program.
MVLP does not handle criminal matters.
MVLP cannot handle matters for incarcerated or institutionalized individuals.
If you have given details of the case to Legal Services Alabama, please do not call MVLP. Legal Services will refer the matter to MVLP if the case meets MVLP guidelines.
Types of Cases Accepted by MVLP
- Bankruptcy– Chapter 7
- Child Support Modification– client has major change in circumstances
- Collections– Small claims with attorney on other side
- Contracts and Warranties
- Divorce – uncontested and parties are separated or defendant’s whereabouts are unknown
- Guardianship of child– if needed to enter child in school
- Guardianship of adult– person not of sound mind or medical condition prevents person from caring for self
- Home Ownership– Deed preparation, pre-foreclosure negotiations; or land dispute
- Landlord/Tenant– private housing
- Legitimations– by consent
- Power of Attorney
- Probate– Wills, Living Wills, and small estate administration
- Tort Defense
Cases Handled by Legal Services Alabama (LSA)
(334) 832-4570 or (866) 456-4995
Please contact LSA directly for assistance with the following:
- Protection From Abuse(PFA) order due to recent abuse
- Divorce with domestic violence or other issues
- Eviction defense
- Private foreclosure defense
- Garnishment defense
- Repossession defense
- Utility(electricity, gas and water) termination
- Wrongful termination from employment
- Unemployment compensation
- Bankruptcy(Chapters 7 and 13) as a way of solving problems with garnishments, multiple suits and threatened loss of housing
- Public benefits(Family Assistance, Food Stamps, Medicaid appeals)